Friday, October 26, 2007

Money Can't Buy Love....or can it?

Is it really true that money can't buy love, or is this something we just tell poor people to keep them from rioting? As I sit here writing my checks to Citibank Student Loan, Sprint PCS and Tmobile, I think about how I am blessed to be able to pay my bills and how unfortunate it is for those who can not. It took me back to a few months ago, I would always see this homeless couple on my way to work, that is when I worked in Los Angeles, CA. They were the happiest people I had ever seen in my life, happier than some of the most wealthiest pretty faces you see on Access Hollywood. To my suprise they even had a pet cat! Now, I personally hate cats and find it quite unsettling on my chest, that they had the nerve to have a pet and didnt have a home. If you are struggling to feed yourself, why are you taking in another mouth to feed? Nonetheless, the couple were happy. I would speak every morning as I passed them on the way into the office, and watch them as they cuddled over the vent to keep each other warm from the cold front coming off of the water, and shared whatever food they managed to have with each other. Now my mother always said, you can tell if a man loves you if he is willing to give you his last.

Now that I am back in Baltimore, aint a damn thing changed. I still see the happiest homeless couples in downtown Baltimore and today it became the topic of conversation in the office. I had to ask myself, could I see myself smiling and giggly if I was in that situation. Being completely honest, I'd have to say no.

Historically, I have been called a "gold digger" or "expensive". Your honor, I plead not guilty. I like nice things, yes. Sometimes I spend a lot of money on things that others feel arent worth it, but to me a good pair of Dolce & Gabbana shades are priceless. In past "dates" and "relationships" I have found it hard to find myself comfortable enough to be happy with someone who could not bring at LEAST what I bring to the table. Saying that, I am not rich, so it shouldnt take much. A nice gentlemen, with a decent education, and a honest 9 to 5 is not much to ask. I need stability and structure in my life...and in my men.

There was this one guy...Glenn was his name. He was about two years older than I, and we dated my senior year of high school, summer before college. He didnt have a stable job, stable living conditions, not even a stable lifestyle. We were young. His life consisted of clubbing, drinking, fighting etc. Anyone who knew Glenn, knew that I was his world. He would do anything for me. He couldnt afford to take me to restaurants, buy me nice things, or travel to different places when I wanted to. THAT began to take a toll on our relationship. I was tired of feeling like I had to slide down an economic group in order to be able to be with him and I DAMN sure wasn't paying for a grown man every time we went out. I admit that I was blind and took him for granted. I later found out those shoes he purchased for me for christmas, was his gas money to work for an entire week (yes he walked to work...now thats love). I also found out from his bestfriend (who became my roomate in Los Angeles) that he cried when he couldnt throw me the big birthday party that I wanted for my birthday. Now, four years or so later, I realize everything he couldnt give me monetarily , he gave me emotionally. I have been on dates with guys with money and dated guys who had at least what I had, if not more. But the love Glenn gave me was a different kind of love. I struggle asking myself, if he had a more stable lifestyle and income, would I have been more eager and willing to stick around and make it work?

So can money buy you love?

Or is it not about focusing on what they cant offer monetarily?


Your thoughts....

5 comments:

Mr. Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Jones said...

Good post, boy.

I know you well and have called you many things, but gold digger isn't one of them. Difficult to please and spoiled rotten, perhaps. But not a gold digger. You have too much class for that. I know it.

The next time a critic questions one of your pieces, simply pause, look down and say:

"What's that? My Loro Piana loafers?? These old things? Your man bought these for me some time ago from Bergdorfs."

It's time to put these bitches in their places.

Tranquility826 said...

Great post!

Who the hell is Glenn?? lol..lol..

No $$ can't buy you love..it's buys you happiness for a moment..it's wonderful when you can have a man that you truly love & enjoy on all levels and their pockets are stacked..lol..but love is everlasting not the $$...if the love can last despite any issues, that's true love..

One Man’s Opinion said...

Money can rent for for a few hours...is that bad?

SpecialK261 said...

wow..that's deep man...I actually almost shead a tear...I really liked that post (found your blog while randomly stalking other ppl's blogs lol)...now I don't know what to say..now for the past few months I've bene in my relationship money hasn't really been an issue but I was working fulltime for most of it so things didn't get too bad...now I'm back in skool and the budget is tighter..can't afford to pamper him like I would like to. As I'm preparing to raduate and I have so many aspects ahead of me and so many investments I will have to make (apt., car, groceries etc.) I realise how important a stable financial future is. Hence the desparate attempt to save every free penny I have for next may...My dude is in a much higher tax bracket than I am...I think the only real concern is my pridefullness..I wont let him pay for things and I want to get to a stable point all on my own...without his help..I think deep down its a fear that if I don't have my shyt together he'll look down on me...I never want him to see me as a burden...I liek the idea o him looking up to me as a source of hope and inspiration...now I'm getting all carried away with my love story...lol..man...but if you're really in love..the ultimate fact is that what you have in the bank wont mean a thing in the end as you're realizing now..take care man and good luck..i hope u fine homeboi once again..