Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Where is the love......?

I really don't understand some of the nonsense we people find humourous. Last night, as I laid there skimming every so lightly through the October edition of Vogue, my attentiveness was interrupted by sounds of laughter. Being the nosey person I am, and ever so intrigued , I decided to mark the Dolce & Gabbana ad that I had been scrutinizing, only to zone in on the television screen. Do not ask me what the show was, because it was my first and last time ever watching it.

Cedric the Entertainer was on television comedically (thats what they called it not me) speaking about how Halloween is a big thing in Los Angeles. As a ex-California resident, I can second that notation. West Hollywood really gets down for Halloween with a huge block party and celebration that draws crowds by the thousands. West Hollywood is also known to be the gay ghetto (I use this term in the Webster sense). Next thing you know, I see drag queens in costumes frolicing across my screen yelling "Happy Homoween". I was perplexed.

Here is my problem. We as blacks , people who have been surpressed and in many arenas and still are, are in no way, shape, or form to become oppressors. Where do we get off ridiculing and making a mockery of someones lifestyle, much like whites did to us for many years? Had Rosie or David Letterman did a segment that featured a group of blacks wearing baggy clothes, eating chicken and watermelon, shouting "Happy Niggerween", Al Sharpton would have been pounding their door down with the forces of the nation. Its very hyprocitcal to argue for equality but yet and still make fun of homosexuals on national television in a comedic way. There is nothing comedic about being a homosexual. Homosexuality has the same love that exist in hetereosexual relationships, homosexuals are people just like heterosexuals and just like blacks..who have the RIGHT to be fairly treated. I should not turn on the television and see my lifestyle being utilized as a comedic relief for some after work relaxation, much like a black person should not see their race being made a mockery of.

This was really bothering me and I just felt the need to comment on it....

2 comments:

Strength-n-Me said...

great point. I couldn't agree more. If we were still in school I would have told you to write to the diamondback :P

Perhaps The Sun will run your commentary?

WhozHe said...

I second that emotion. Some of us black folks just don't get that injustice to one is imjustice to all.