Thursday, February 28, 2008

Star Jones VS. O'Reilly

So I am sure most of you have read about Star Jones letter she sent to Bill O'Reilly in a response to a statement towards Michelle Obama. For those who may be unaware of the situation, a brief recap.

O'Reilly, the curmudgeon host of Fox News Channel's 'The O'Reilly Factor,' was talking to a caller that was angry that Obama had said on C-Span that "for the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my country."
The 58-year-old television commentator, who privately settled a sexual harassment lawsuit against him in 2004, responded to the caller by offering that of course they'd have to check the facts first.
He said: "I don't want to go on a lynching party against Michelle Obama unless there's evidence, hard facts, that say this is how the woman really feels. If that's how she really feels - that is a bad country or a flawed nation, whatever - then that's legit. We'll track it down."


Star Jones issued a letter to O'Reilly in response to his use of the words "lynching party". Below is just a SNIPPET of Star response :

How dare this white man with a microphone and the trust of the public think that in 2008, he can still put the words 'lynch and party' together in the same sentence with reference to a black woman; in this case, Michelle Obama? I don't care how you 'spin it' in the 'no spin zone,' that statement in and of itself is racist, unacceptable and inappropriate on every level.

Bill, I'm not sure of where you come from, but let me tell you what the phrase 'lynching party' conjures up to me, a black woman born in North Carolina . Those words depict the image of a group of white men who are angry with the state of the own lives getting together, drinking more than they need to drink, lamenting how some black person has moved forward (usually ahead of them in stature or dignity), and had the audacity to think that they are equal.

Did Star overreact?

I am sometimey on these issues. I just had a conversation with my father and my coworker about this situation. My coworker brought up good points, as did I. She said "I almost feel bad for white people, they have to be so cautious of what they say". On that note I agree. When are we as a people going to let it go. BEFORE IM ATTACKED, I am not suggesting forget the years of slavery and the historical context that lynching has, but when are we going to stop allowing words to bring us two steps back? If we are still at the point where a word or phrase can evoke such mental anguish in our lives, then arent we still victims? We cant allow people to still have mental control over us, especially with words.

My coworker also referenced the situation from years ago where one of Tiger Woods friends made the comment to him "lets take him in the alley and lynch him". Now this comment I feel was unacceptable. As PEOPLE (white and black) we need to be very cautious when using words in a way that is neglectful to its historical context. Lynching does bring to mind the hanging of blacks, the pain, agony and death.

I am rambling because I am torn with my stance...your thoughts?

7 comments:

WhozHe said...

I understand your point and overall agree with it, with the exception of this case. O'Reilly is a television figure who happens to be a skilled craftsman of words. He above all others understands the impact of his chosen words on his audience. I believe his choice of words in this case was intentionally wreckless and callous. He's a white male who believes there is no such thing as political correctness even though your words might insight hate towards another human being.

Having said that, an apology normally would be in order but in O'Reilly's case it would be quite insecure.

Humility731 said...

White people were lynched to...why does lynching automatically have to be assumed to be a black thing?

j_shanlin said...

True, white people were lynched too, but white people were also slaves. The connotation of both are associated with Blacks/ African Americans, and when Mr OReilly said that, I'm sure that he wasn't thinking about those in his white ancestral line that were lynched because I can almost bet he wouldn't have said that. Now as For Star, ummmm.... I'm still in limbo about whether or not she went overboard. I don' think she did but I think coming from her it's just a big joke... I mean seriously. Don't you think she has bigger fish to fry i.e. bobble head, homo ex husband...

Anonymous said...

Bill is a clown and some others on the far right are just as bad. It just bothers me so much that race is such an issue in the current presidential race. Another writer over on Highbrid Nation wrote a piece about how very recently Repulicans have been surveying college students to see how far they could push the racial stereotype language before people would say its too much. How crazy is that?! It'd be nice if we could judge these candidates on their leadership skills and nothing else. I know, thats not gonna happen.

One Man’s Opinion said...

Starr Jones is a bitch. You know this. LOL. I think her ass over reacts to everything and she's a lying hoe bag. I'm just saying. Lynch is not a bad word, although I can see black folks getting a little excited by the damn thing. Peace and love, chocholate. LOL

fuzzy said...

My Mouth wants to say, "sticks and stone may break my bones but words will never hurt me." We have to over come words and move on. You are the one that give the power to the words.

Lets step to the other side and say that words have meaning. When they are pushed in the faces of others impact is expected. With the delicacy of the human mentality, those words promote retaliation. What do you expect to happen when these words come into play? nothing?

When ignorant people cease to use ignorant words and intelligent people stop taking offense to them we will have a better society where nonsense does not exist.

Unknown said...

Bill was wrong - point blank.
As someone in the public eye - and on the pulse of spin - Bill is quite aware of what he said and that in the context in which he said it, it would be offensive. He's also aware that younger men/women of color now shrug their shoulders at comments like these and say, "We need to get over it." I think as people of color we need to recognize that these types of slights and offenses escalate when unchecked...if you're cool with this, then keep your mouths shut when you're called something completely vulgar...I mean...as many of you think..."Get over it."